Good Morning -  Today is          

Downloadable Books

Library Events

Contact Us

Sign up for Library Card

Internet Quick Hits

Make A Donation

How to create a Facebook Account

Library Catalog

Library Catalog Instructions

New Media

Borrowers Info & Services

Policy

History of RPL

Favorite Links

RLA Board

Home Page

Join Our Email List
Email:

History

THE RANGELEY PUBLIC LIBRARY


The Rangeley Public Library is a proprietary library owned and managed by the Rangeley Library Association, a policy-making Board of Trustees/Directors, whose mandate is to provide management and resources so the Library may provide information and materials for the interests, information and enlightenment of all people in the Rangeley area.

The Library building was dedicated on August 12, 1909. The charge desk, book stacks and computers are located in the attractive main room on the first floor. A comfortable basement room provides a quiet place for research, reading and small group meetings. In 1959 a Children's Room was furnished on the second floor through the generosity of Mrs. Frank Owen. On July 12, 1978 the Rangeley Public Library was honored by membership in the National Register of Historic Places. By 1996 patrons using library computers had free access to the Internet and in 1997 the automation of the Library through installation of an integrated circulation and on-line public access catalog was completed.

The mission of the Library is to function as a popular materials library, a pre-schooler's door to learning, an education support center, a community information center and a community activities center. Presently the collection of print and non-print materials consists of approximately 23,000 items and an interlibrary loan system provides access to another 1.5 million listings in other Maine libraries. Free access to the Internet through the Library's seven computers provides infinite sources of information for patrons.  Wireless service became available to patrons in June 2005.  We also offer services including sending and receiving of faxes, copying, and printing.

With the new addition completed in July 2002, the library offers the community more than ever.  Adult non-fiction is housed in the historical section right off the Lake Street entrance, as well as one of two check-out desks.  Now, there is a new entrance coming through a beautifully landscaped garden area.  Behind the building is a lovely patio with comfortable furniture available to the public for reading, wireless computer use or relaxation.  The open and well-lit foyer leads you to the adult fiction and the new circulation desk.  Upstairs, the library offers two childrens' rooms.  The primary room has books, games, television, coloring, and plenty of seats for young children and their parents.  The older children's room has a computerized card catalog, an iMac, a dedicated games computer, and lots of books geared towards 7-13 year old kids.